The Marana district has expanded our school safety program through a recently awarded Arizona Department of Education School Safety Program grant, which provides for the following:
- Marana Police Department School Resource Officer (SRO) at Marana Middle School, full time.
- A Pima County Juvenile Probation Officer (JPO) at Tortolita Middle School, full time.
- A Pima County Juvenile Probation Officer (JPO) serving at both Quail Run Elementary/ Thornydale Elementary.
- A Juvenile Probation Officer (JPO) serving at both Roadrunner Elementary/Picture Rocks Elementary.
- In addition, through continued partnerships with the Pima County Sheriff’s and Marana Police Department, Mountain View, Tortolita Middle, and Marana High each have a full time SRO.
The intent of the School Safety Program grant is to place SROs and JPOs on school grounds to contribute to safe school environments that are conducive to teaching and learning. Their presence on campuses further enhance and support the current school safety program as the officer works hand in hand with school administration to enhance a safe learning environment.
SROs/JPOs maintain a visible presence on campus; serve as an available resource to the school community; deter delinquent behaviors; and provide students and staff with Law-Related Education (LRE) instruction and training. The goal of LRE is to prepare students for responsible citizenship by promoting the development of those characteristics that lead to healthy behavior.