Every year, Marana recognizes members of our community who exemplify the values of integrity, service, and commitment to improving the lives of others. Marana is seeking nominees for the Branding Iron and Ora Mae Harn Crystal Legacy Awards. This year, these awards will be announced at Founders’ Day on March 25, 2017. The deadline for nominations is February 26, 2017.
The Marana Branding Iron is awarded to individuals who have made a "mark" on the community and have made a substantial contribution to the Town. Past recipients include former U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Wheeler & Charlene Abbett, and Sargent Aerospace & Defense.
Two Branding Iron Awards will be given at Founders' Day: one in the Individual category (includes an individual resident or non-resident who works in Marana), and one in the Organization category (includes civic groups, non-profits, and private businesses). The person submitting the nomination cannot nominate himself/herself. Past recipients are not eligible. The submission may be awarded in memoriam.
The Ora Mae Harn Crystal Legacy Award honors the memory of the “Matriarch of Marana.” Ora Mae Harn served on Town Council from 1985-2001 and was mayor on two occasions. To further recognize her commitment to the community, the Town in 2001 named a district park in her honor. During her many hears of commitment to Marana, she was director of the Marana Health Center, instrumental in the formation of the Marana Community Food Bank, and a founding member of the Marana Rotary Club. She also founded and served as the first president of the Marana Heritage Conservancy. Ora Mae Harn exemplified leadership, volunteerism and a steadfast commitment to the community of Marana.
The Ora Mae Harn Crystal Legacy Award honors Mrs. Harn's dedication and service to the Town of Marana by recognizing individuals or businesses that promote her commitment to the Town of Marana through exemplary volunteer service.
Nominees for this honor cannot choose themselves, must be living, own a business or live in Marana, not be an elected official, and not be a member of the selection committee. Selection is based on any or all of the following criteria:
- Develops and/or sustains creative solutions to community needs
- Organizes and directs an activity of exceptional importance and complexity
- Serves in a leadership position and personal expertise that has enabled the applicant to contribute valuable service to the community
- Exemplifies of the spirit of community service
- Serves as a role model for others in the community
- Inspires others to engage in volunteer service
- Develops the virtues and skills of civic engagement and social responsibility
- Performs work that has facilitated better understanding and made a significant improvement in human relations, social welfare, and justice among diverse groups
These awards give Marana the chance to share the outstanding work of the people in this community. If you know of a person or group who is contributing to Marana, please consider nominating them for one of these awards.