School Employees are dedicated individuals who often put in countless hours to make education successful for children.
These hours can be logged in long after the school day is over. It is very important that you keep yourself safe! You are a valued person and everyone wants to be sure the children get to continue having you at school each day! Here are some simple tips to help keep you safe:
- Avoid working alone in any building after hours, especially from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Burglaries often occur during these hours. Don’t put yourself at risk, stay safely at home if possible.
- Avoid entering the school alone after dark.
- Know your alarm code and the location of all keypads
- If the alarm goes off, DO NOT leave without talking to police or the alarm company
- Use the buddy system and coordinate after work times
- If something doesn’t seem right, DO NOT enter the building!
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Stay alert—try to avoid being too focused on work (lost in thought)
- When working alone, avoid using earbuds/headphones
- Keep noise to a minimum so you can hear outside sounds
- Footsteps, doors opening/closing, voices, & anything suspicious
- Keep the door of the room you are working in locked
- Let someone know where you will be and for how long
- Keep a phone with you at all times
- Ask a friend to call and “check on you” occasionally
- Don’t hesitate to call the Police if needed ~ trust your instincts!
Marana Police Non-Emergency (520) 682-4032 ~ Emergency 9-1-1