EXPLORER POST #77
Our mission is to work hand in hand with the members of the Marana Police Department to educate today's youth who are interested in a law enforcement career. We are dedicated to building a positive image of law enforcement by earning the mutual trust and respect of the community through our professionalism and commitment to excellence.
What is the Explorer Program
The Police Explorer Program is Learning for Life's career education program. Our program will provide the Explorer with hands-on, real-world law enforcement experiences through training taught by police officers and by participating in ride-alongs with our officers.
As an Explorer, you will learn:
- Leadership skills
- Teamwork and the desire to help others
- 14-20 years of age (must be enrolled in high school or home-schooled)
- Have NO arrest or convictions that would prohibit employment as a police officer
- Be in good physical health and be able to participate in physical activities
- Must maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average while in school
- Must be able to attend weekly meetings and one weekend training a month.
How to Apply
Complete application: After the application is complete it can be delivered in person or mailed to the following address:
Marana Police Department
11555 W Civic Center Dr
Marana Operations Center
5100 W Ina Rd
Attend orientation: This will be held a minimum of twice a year, every six months. If numerous applications are received before an orientation is scheduled, we will schedule extra sessions.
Panel interview: Candidates who complete the application and attend an orientation will be contacted and given a date and time for a formal interview. You will need to bring the following documents:
- Copy of your birth certificate
- Photo identification (state ID, driver's license, passport, or school ID)
- Copy of your last report card or transcript.
Appropriate attire for interview:
- Applicants must dress in professional business attire
- No jeans or sneakers permitted
- No jewelry permitted except for a wrist watch
- Males should arrive clean-shaven with hair neatly trimmed
- Females should come with hair pulled away from their face
Background check: Advisors will perform a background check to include contact of your references. After completing the background, we will carefully review the documentation and applicants will be notified of their acceptance or denial.
Any false or misleading information provided, including past criminal behavior, will be grounds for denial.
Introduction: Candidates who are accepted will begin attending regular meetings and activities.
Benefits to becoming an Explorer
Provides you with an in-depth look into a career in law enforcement.
Provides you with Criminal Justice Internship Credit if enrolled in the class at a high school in the Marana Unified School District.